These are our first test shots, here we experiment with the hanging sequence. We filmed all hanging shots in our story board and edited them together. Whilst in the real thing we plan to have these shots dispersed amongst others, this test allowed us to experiment and discover the style, camera angles, framing and movement we can use to achieve our goal; of a psychotic Neo Noir style thriller.
Here is a screenshot of the timeline of our test shots. As you can see we used colour correction to bring out green, giving our shots a cold, disturbed feel. However we could experiment more with the saturation and exposure of our shots to achieve a higher contrast, a common convention in the Neo Noir style. On the contrary we used the Keyer effect to bring a dark tone and consequently a higher contrast to our shots, however it doesn’t add the essential vibrancy of Neo Noir, which could be achieved using colour correction.
We have employed the use of a fractured narrative. By using fade through black (to colour) transitions we create an illusion of a limited viewpoint, as it highlights the missing of action; as the audience experience black instead of action. This excites and engages the audience as their sense of curiosity and cognitive pleasure desire answers, increasing focus and suspension of disbelief.
I have experimented with using mechanical non diegetic sounds to emphasise the action in the piece. However we fear that they make the sequence feel to aggressive, instead of a slick, dark and mysterious. We plan to experiment further with having sound effects (less aggressive) with a soundtrack, or just having a soundtrack on its own. On top of this we plan to have a monologue read on top of the action.